- 4 lemons
- 1 orange
- 150g Demerara sugar
- 250 ml dark rum
- 250 ml white rum
- 250 ml brandy
- 20 ml ginger syrup
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest of 2 lemons and the orange in strips. Drop into a large heatproof bowl (I use a preserving pan) and combine with sugar. Muddle together with a muddler, pestle or the back of a wooden spoon. Allow the mixture to infuse over night.
- Halve the orange and squeeze the juice into a measuring jug. Halve lemons and squeeze lemon juice into the measuring jug and set aside
- When ready to serve, bring 2 pints of water to a boil. Pour rum and brandy into a punch serving bowl with the sugar and citrus peel.
- Add reserved citrus juice, ginger syrup and boiling water and stir well. Grate nutmeg over top of punch and ladle into glasses.